Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How did I get started

I have been getting asked quite a bit,
"So how in the world did you get started doing this?"

It all began on a chilly day back in late 2004.... (LOL!)
My husband, Larry Don, was changing positions in his company and for the first 3 months of his new job it would be about a $30k/year pay cut then it would pick up. When he told me that I was freaked! I am a stay-at-home Mom so we are a single income family and come on $30K is a lot of money! I was telling my Mom about this new position and she suggested that I use her Sunday inserts and start clipping coupons to save money until his salary stabilized. I reluctantly agreed. After flipping through the pages of coupons I started looking at the CVS ad for whatever reason and at that time I had never even been inside a CVS!!! The horror!! I noticed in the ad that there was a Venus Razor on sale for $1.99 and I thought that's a good deal and then I remembered that in one of those inserts was a coupon for $2.00 off any Venus Razor! Holy Smokes, Batman! Am I going to be able to turn in this little piece of paper and get a Venus razor?? Well the answer to that is YES! I look back and laugh now at how nervous I was but the checker of course acted like it was no big deal and just said, "Miss, here is your change" Change??? What?? Yup I got the penny back, I was hooked! I jumped right in full force and only stopped for a brief time while I was miserably sick with our second child and then nursing and you know what I didn't have to buy toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine products, shampoo, conditioner, stylers etc. the entire time! I started up again in July of 2008 and it just keeps getting better and better. My friend, Chasity, was wanting to learn my "secrets" so I had her over one day, gave her the 411 and then took her to Walgreen's and CVS for a little shoppin' and she was hooked too. She discovered this entire online world of couponing that has really changed my life and how I shop. So in February of 2009 after lots of encouragement from my family and friends I started Happy Couponing as a way to help want-to-be couponers make the most of their dollars spent at the grocery, drug and mass merchant stores. I hope you enjoy my blog and leave me a comment anytime to let me know what you think!

Happy Couponing!

2 comments:

  1. I love your story! I am knew to this and reading thru all your blogs. It is addicting. Not many comments are left so i wanted to know that all of your blogging IS helping others out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Michelle! Thanks so much, I have only been blogging for less than a month so I am so glad that you are enjoying what you are reading and that it's helping. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete